Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Outlets

I have been thinking a lot lately about balance. A lot of it has been centered on work/life balance, but as I reflected on it more I realized it is more life balance. I started to think about the different things that I do to maintain balance in my life and I realized there are a lot of things that I have. I decided to call these my outlets because all of them help me take my mind off of whatever is stressing me out at the time. These are my outlets:


My Love
When Jeff and I first started dating, we had a date night every week on Wednesday. We decided this would be a day just for the two of us to hang out no matter what he had going on. Once he joined the Army that obviously could not continue. Since we've moved in together we haven't been able to do it because we are both so busy. However, we have tried to do a good job of going out on dates together even if we are busy. The one thing we have been doing a lot lately is playing games together. We both dedicate a chunk of time to do homework or study but then we set out time before going to bed to just spend time together. This has been really important to me because it helps me decompress and relax before going to bed. Plus, it always reminds me why I am in love with him.

My Family
Anyone that knows me even a little knows how important my family is to me. I feel very blessed to have such a wonderful family that I can really count on. Since moving to San Diego, Jeff and I have made it a point to go home as often as possible. When I get the opportunity to go home, I find that it really energizes me to keep going. There are some people in my family that are especially important to me:
My Mom
My mom has been such an inspiration to me in my life and I just want to make her proud of me. She has been through so much in her life and she has managed to overcome it all. I look up to her so much and when I am able to spend time with her, I find that she inspires me to reach for the stars.


My Baby Girls
My two younger sisters are the most beautiful teenagers in the world. Even though they may have attitude sometimes and we fight sometimes, they are so important to me. Everything I have done in my life has been for them. I wanted to show them that they could achieve all their dreams despite everything they will have to overcome. They keep me going and inspire me to achieve all my dreams because I want to show them that it's possible.


The Babies
One of the big reasons why Jeff and I like to go home a lot is to see the babies: my nephew Tristan and his niece Nathalia. We absolutely love to spend time with both of them and try to take them fun places, like the park, as much as we can. Right now they are both three years old and it is hard to be away from both of them because we feel like we're missing out on so much of their lives. Spending time with them really forces me to forget about anything that is stressing me out because they are so much fun and I am able to bring my inner-child out when I am with them.

My "Artistic" Side
I am not a very artsy or creative person, but I do enjoy having the opportunity to do artsy things. A few weeks ago Jeff and I went to Walgreens and I saw a box for tissue art. This instantly popped out at me and I wanted to buy it. It reminded me of a tissue art project I did in kindergarten for my mom. I bought the tissue art and when I am doing homework I take breaks from it to do some tissue art. I find it very relaxing and it makes me feel like I'm a kid again.


Each of these things is very important to me for different reasons. They each help me maintain balance in my life, which leads to me being a much happier person. I am grateful that I am able to maintain balance in my life and I hope that I can continue it. I am not saying I am an expert at it because I am not at all. There are definitely times when I don't put these things first and I can tell that it affects me. However, I do feel I have a good sense of balance and I am able to recognize the importance of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment