Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

If I Could do it all Over Again...


Now that I am in the final days of my graduate experience at USD, I felt it was very appropriate for me to reflect on my overall experience. I have said it many times, and I will continue to say it when I move on to my next institution, this program has been one of the best decisions of my life. I started this program thinking I had everything figured out and that I wasn't really in need of any further development, but I was way wrong! This program helped me grow so much as a person and as a higher education practitioner.

As I am reflecting on my experience, I find myself asking the question, If could do it all over again, would I change anything?

For the most part, I can confidently say that I wouldn't change anything. In thinking about my experience as a Graduate Assistant, I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to have two different assistantships. Although I did not find what I thought I would out of my experience working with Greek Life, it was very rewarding and a learning opportunity for me. My experience in the Center for Student Success has been one of the best experiences of my life. I find myself being so connected to my job and everyone there. I absolutely love the work I'm doing and I am really sad to leave. This position has helped me determine what kind of work I am really passionate about and it is because of this that I am very grateful for this experience.

My academic experience has been extremely rewarding and challenging. Taking 550 was one of the biggest hurdles for me because it was so unlike anything I had ever taken before. I can't really say the class changed my life or anything, but I did enjoy the experience. The majority of classes greatly contributed to my learning and I could see how they would apply to my work in higher education. I am glad I took the classes that I took, especially taking the opportunity of the international experience in Qatar. The numerous opportunities for reflection took some getting used to, but in the end I really valued it. I would not change anything about my academic experience.

My social experience at USD has definitely been a roller coaster. However, I am now happy with the relationships and friendships that I've built. Eventually I realized that I had to put myself out there to create relationships with classmates and because of this I have made friendships that I know will last a lifetime. It may only be a few real friendships I've created, but these few hold a very special place in my heart. I do have to say that it took me a long time to get to a place where I was happy with this aspect of my experience at USD, but I am glad to be at this place. Although it would be easy for me to wish I could change my bumps in my social experience, but all parts of my experience contributed to the person I am today.

When I first answered the question, I said "For the most part..." which means there are parts of my experience I would change. Actually there is only one thing I wish I could change. I wish I would have come in more open minded about connecting to the institution. Coming straight out of undergrad was kind of a disadvantage to me in this respect. When I graduated from La Verne in 2009 I was legitimately sad to leave. I was not ready to leave everything I had created at La Verne. Since I was still so connected to La Verne, I came to USD not really looking to connect to the university. In my mind, it was just a place for me to get a Masters degree and gain some professional experience. I was not interested in anything beyond that. It actually wasn't until this semester during seminar when we were having a check-in and some of my classmates were talking about how much they were going to miss being at USD. I took some time to reflect on this because I realized that I was not that sad to leave. I have not had any bad experiences here that would make me want to leave. I knew I was going to be sad to leave my office because I feel so connected to everyone there, but I don't really feel any emotion either way about leaving USD. As I reflected on it, I realized it was because of the frame of mind I came in with. I realize there is nothing I can do about it now, but I do wonder about my next institution. Will I be able to go in with an open mind and create a connection to the institution? This is something that I am really sitting with and I am hopeful that since I've acknowledged and realized this now, I will be able to connect to my next institution.

Overall, I am so glad I had this experience and I am very much looking forward to see what my future holds me. Thank you to everyone who contributed to my experience at USD! I could not have done it without you all!

Goodbye to USD and SOLES!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so grateful to have been part of your journey! I appreciate your reflection here, especially the forward-looking aspects of it. Very important to think about how to enter your next role ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have contributed to important work at USD and will continue to do so in future positions. Congratulations on your success!

    ReplyDelete